Wednesday, February 3, 2010
The good folks at Wezen Ball have ranked every statue at a baseball stadium in the Major Leagues, and as you would expect, the Marlins came in dead last:
26. Twins, A's, Mets, Marlins, Dodgers: To the best of my knowledge, none of these teams have statues.Well, the Marlins do have a statue at Dolphin/SunLife/YourNameHere Stadium, but it is a rendering of Casey at the Bat, and not a real-live human being:
But since the Marlins are building that new stadium and all, I thought I'd throw in a few suggestions for statues to be placed outside the ballpark. Here they are, in no particular order:
- Jeff Conine: Mr. Marlin, a no-brainer.
- Wayne Huizenga: If only for the creative defacement possibilities. Plus, Marlins fans can tear it down after big victories, a la the goal posts at a football stadium.
- Jeff Loria: Don't think he hasn't considered it.
- Alfredo Amezega: It would be a small statue, which makes it cost effective and a perfect choice for the Marlins.
- Livan Hernandez: Like Conine an obvious sentimental choice, and one that I would not oppose at all.
H/t @robneyer. Casey photo via BaseballTrips.net